Crews were called to a possible chimney fire around 10:30. When they arrived the fire had already ripped through the top floor, and there wasn’t much they could do to save the home.
Crews from Greenbush also responded to the fire, which burned for several hours.
Passadumkeag Fire Chief Brent Faloon says Marie Lodge and her son Mark lived in the house, but were not home at the time of the fire.
Faloon says the extreme cold and nearby power lines made the fire even harder to fight.
":We’ve had one engine freeze up completely and we had to cease operations until Hydro got the power disconnected. We had power lines burning up and down the street. Obviously it’s very cold out, and that gives us some complications.":
The home was located across the street from the fire department in Passadumkeag.
There has been no word yet on what started that blaze.