Hallowell Fire 

The fire destroyed a building, once known as the Abbott House, just after 10 o’clock Tuesday morning.

The house on Winthrop Street was built more than 100 years ago, and is part of the Hallowell historic district, which is on the national register of historic places.

There was a lot of damage to the house.

&quot:They had a very large central staircase and the front of the house where the volume was the heaviest which allowed some of the fire to get up the stairs through convection. That’s probably why the rapids spread. It’s very rare here in the state of Maine that you get a building on a main drag this time of day that gets this far going.&quot:

Fire officials said two people who lived in the house were injured, as were three firefighters, one of whom was hurt by bricks from a falling chimney.