Hot Plate Blamed for Augusta Fire 

A house fire in Augusta that started in a

hot plate is blamed for the death of the 82-year-old woman who

lived alone in the dwelling.

Fire officials said Margaret Rivers died Friday of smoke


Rivers’ body was found inside the Porter Street home after a

neighbor who had come home for lunch reported seeing flames coming

out the door.

Firefighters trying to gain access to the home had to push

through piles of furniture, shelving and other household items that

blocked doors and windows.