ONE BRADFORD FAMILY THOUGHT THEY WERE DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT, UNTIL A FIRE AT THEIR HOME THIS WEEKEND.
LOOKING AT THIS HOUSE…YOU WOULDN’T KNOW…FIREFIGHTERS FROM FOUR TOWNS SATURDAY FOUGHT A FIRE HERE FOR HOURS.
":men on the roof, men on the first floor, and we advanced a hose into the attic.":
FIRE SHOT HIGH OUT OF THIS HUNDRED-YEAR OLD CHIMNEY…BRADFORD FIRE CHIEF SCOTT DEMORANVILLE SAYS THE BLANCHARDS, WHO LIVE HERE, ARE VERY LUCKY.
":we were there for well over three hours and it got a point that we were worried about it getting into the structure and doing damage to the house.":
BARBARA BLANCHARD TOLD US SUNDAY THEY HAD BEEN TAKING GOOD CARE OF THEIR STOVE AND CHIMNEY.
":even though people think they’re doing the right thing and they’re running it hot enough daily and things like that, it’s still periodically should be brush out, cleaned out.":
DEMORANVILLE SAYS THE HUNDRED-YEAR OLD CHIMNEY WASN’T LINED AND HAD A SEVERE AMOUNT OF CREOSOTE BUILDUP…HE SAYS PUTTING IN A CLAY LINER CAN MAKE YOUR CHIMNEY SAFER.
":That lines the chimney and creates somewhat of a pipe up through the chimney. It’s a smooth surface, so creosote has a harder time sticking to it and it makes them easier to clean.":
HIS NUMBER-ONE TIP IS TO BURN WELL-SEASONED WOOD.
":green wood is far more apt to create creosote buildup in the chimney.":
IF YOU’RE PUTTING IN A WOOD STOVE THIS WINTER OR IT’S BEEN A WHILE SINCE YOU FIRED IT UP…THE MAINE FIRE MARSHAL’S WEB SITE OFFERS A GUIDE WITH STANDARDS FOR WOOD BURNING STOVES….WITH TIPS THAT CAN KEEP YOU SAFE.
":it’s good maintenance and hopefully it’ll save us being there in the middle of the night this winter for a chimney fire.":