Fire destroyed the French family’s home, leaving them with only the clothes on their backs. An 11-year-old boy has his mother to thank for that.
It all began at about seven o’clock Wednesday night. Teena French and her son, 11-year old Casey Grant were at their home on Willow Street.
You may remember Casey from a story we brought you just about a year ago. He was chosen by Winslow Firefighters to be the Grand Marshal at the Annual Firefighters Convention Parade.
Casey has spina bifida and because of that his wheelchair is something he can’t get around without.
When Casey’s mom heard smoke detectors going off and realized fire was spreading quickly, strength, she says she didn’t know she had kicked in to save her son.
Nothing is left from inside the home. Teena says the blaze began in her bedroom and the whole house was engulfed in five minutes. Teena also went back into the home and rescued their dog, Ben. Her husband, Pete was not home.
She thinks an electrical problem may have sparked the fire.
An investigator from the Fire Marshal’s Office sifted through the ashes Thursday and will try to pinpoint an exact cause.
The home is insured.
The community already has seemed to rally around this family.
Anyone wishing to help can make cash donations at Maine Savings Federal Credit union in North Vassalboro. Clothing donations and household items can also be dropped at Maine Savings.
Casey- Shirts: Mens Large
Pants: 16/18 (no zippers or snaps)
Teena- Shirts: Womens X-Large
Pants: Womens 16/18
Peter- Shirts: Mens Large
Pants: 33 W 30 L
Shoe: 9 1/2
For more information on how you can hlep, contact Rev. Jane Schwab at 314-8909 or send your donations to:
Teena French Relief Fund
Maine Savings Federal Credit Union
PO BOX 189
N. Vassalboro, ME 04962