Maple Cream Sauce:
cup pure maple syrup 125 mL
cup packed brown sugar 50 mL
1 cup 35 % whipping Cream 250 mL
1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature 15 mL
4 egg yolks 4
4 eggs 4
4 cups cubed fresh white bread 1 L
(about 10 slices, crusts removed)
4 cups blueberries 1 L
1 cup white chocolate chips 250 mL
cup 35% whipping Cream 175 mL
cup granulated sugar 125 mL
Grated zest of 2 lemons
Pinch each salt and red pepper flakes Pinch
1. Maple Cream Sauce: In medium saucepan, stir together maple syrup and sugar: heat over medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly stir in cream: cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter, until melted.
2. Bread Pudding: Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Butter a 12-inch (2.5 L) oval glass baking dish.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and eggs: gently stir in bread, blueberries, chocolate, cream, sugar, lemon zest, salt and pepper flakes. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
4. Pour into prepared dish and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until golden and knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
5. Serve with Maple Cream Sauce and a scoop of your favourite ice cream.
Preparation time: 12 minutes
Standing time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 7-10 minutes
Baking time: 50 to 55 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Variation: For individual servings, butter six 5 oz ramekins liberally and coat with sugar. Fill ramekins with bread pudding mixture. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place ramekins in large oven safe dish and fill dish with water to the halfway mark of the ramekins. Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes.