Camper Explosion

Updated 6 years ago

Four people from Dexter suffered minor burns on their arms and legs when a gas stove exploded in their camper as they were cooking breakfast.

Newport Fire Chief Fred Hickey said the explosion Friday morning at Tent Village Campground on Sebasticook Lake in Newport rocked the camper and blew the back wall off the camper’s frame.

The victims drove themselves to a nearby hospital, where they were treated and released. Their names were not available.

Hickey said fire investigators determined that a gas line to the stove apparently had been left open, so that when stove was turned on gas filled the trailer and set off the explosion.


MENU