93-year old Robert Pottle died when fire swept through his Palermo farmhouse early Saturday morning.
Someone driving by spotted the flames and called for help.
Firefighters say strong winds as well as driving rain and snow made it tough to put out the flames.
Once they did, they discovered Pottle’s body in the bedroom.
His dog was also killed in the fire.
State fire marshal’s investigators say the home was heated by two wood stoves, but say they may never know what started the blaze because of the extensive damage to the house.