Fire leaves Family Homeless

Updated 7 years ago

A Skowhegan family is in desperate need of help after their home was gutted by fire.

Fire officials say the flames started when one or more of the family’s five children was playing with kindling from a woodstove.

It happened on chestnut street just after noon on Saturday.

Fire officials say the man who owns the home was inside with four of the five children when the fire broke out.

They all got out safely…but by the time fire crews arrived, the house was engulfed in flames.

It took firefighters just under two hours to put out the flames.

They say the fire started when one or more of the children took a piece of burning kindling from the stove and put it on a rug, next to a couch.

The home is a total loss, and neighbors tell us the adults and children escaped with nothing…not even shoes on their feet.

The red cross is providing temporary shelter for three days, but after that, they’re on their own.


MENU