The call came in at around 5:30 pm Thursday, the caller said she thought that an apartment building on West Broadway was on fire. Upon arrival however, crews discovered that it was actually the shop, Robinson’s Equipment, down the street from the apartments, which was ablaze.
Firefighters told TV5 Friday morning that the fire in the rear of the building sent out massive amounts of smoke, and thwarted their initial attempts to extinguish the flames. A vent hole was cut, and crews redoubled their efforts.
But time was against them. The fire caused the roof to collapse, causing massive damage. The building is being described as a total loss.
Crews from Howland, Lee, and Mattawamkeag assisted.