Fire crews in Newport almost had a tough job on their hands Monday morning.
Just after 1:30 A.M., a maintenance worker at the Vic Firth Manufacturing plant reported an explosion and flames coming out of the doors near an area where sawdust is stored.
The company makes drumsticks as well as other percussion instruments.
Company officials tell us a spark from the furnace system may have gotten into the machine that holds sawdust.
The sprinkler system activated and had contained much of the blaze.
Last September a fire broke out near the same area, at that time the company added explosion proofing materials which, we’re told, helped stop this fire from spreading.