*** Makes 6-8 servings ***
4 pounds corned brisket of beef
2 quarts cold water
6 whole allspice
1 bay leaf
1 medium-size yellow onion, peeled and quartered
1 medium-size cabbage, trimmed of the course outer leaves, cored, and cut into 8 wedges.
8 carrots, peeled
8 small red potatoes
1 medium-size turnips, peeled and cut into 8 wedges.
1 can whole beets
1. Place the brisket into a very large pot with water, peppercorns, allspice, bay leaf, and onion: cover, and bring to a boil over very high heat.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes: uncover and skim off any skin.
3. Re-cover, and simmer for about 4 hours, or until tender.
4. Place cabbage into small pot, cover half way up with water from the corned beef pot: cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until crisp and tender.
5. Place carrots, potatoes, and beets into a seperate pot, cover with water from corned beef pot, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until tender.
6. Heat beets in another seperate pot.
Serve with a mustard or horseradish sauce.